The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
As we transition into fall, there is no better time to get creative with apples in the kitchen! Apples pair beautifully with savory pork and poultry dishes and are delicious cooked or served raw atop salads or in salsas. I like to use a sweet-tart apple in these meatballs to balance the richness of the pork. Rave or Pink Lady apples work great.
I’m serving these meatballs atop a super simple herbed cauliflower rice, made easy with Heinen’s frozen riced cauliflower. Whether you’re looking to bump up the vegetables in your bowl or just short on time, Heinen’s frozen riced cauliflower (and riced broccoli) is one of my favorite dinner short cuts. Simply heat as directed on the package (about 3-4 minutes), then toss with a bit of butter and fresh herbs like parsley and chives.
- 1 lb. Heinen’s ground pork
- ⅔ cup apples, peeled and diced (recommend: Rave or Pink Lady apple)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. dried rubbed sage
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 12 oz. bags Heinen’s frozen organic riced cauliflower
- ½ Tbsp. butter
- Fresh chopped herbs (parsley and chives)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pork, apple, egg, mustard, spices and salt. Season to taste with black pepper. Using a fork, or your hands, incorporate the ingredients until just combined, but don’t work it too much. Shape the mixture into 16 1 oz. meatballs.
- In a large cast iron or oven-safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the meatballs in a single layer and brown, flipping once, for a total of 4 minutes. Transfer skillet to the oven and continue to bake until meatballs are fully cooked, about 10-12 minutes.
- While the meatballs bake, heat the frozen cauliflower rice according to the package instructions (either in a skillet or in the microwave). Fold in the butter and herbs, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the cauliflower rice among 4 bowls and top each with 3 to 4 meatballs.