The following information, recipe and photography were provided courtesy of our partners at Riverence Provisions LLC.
When you think about it, a lot goes into a plate of sizzling trout.
Sure, there’s how it was prepared, but what if you dive deeper—into where it came from, how it was raised and why it tastes so good? Every trout has a story. And at Riverence Provisions LLC (Riverence®), it all starts with the egg.
Riverence® raises fish hatched exclusively from their own eggs to ensure that they are bred to thrive and easily traced from hatch to harvest to your home. It’s quite the story—and it begins in the purest of spring water, straight from the Rocky Mountains.
Bubbling up through layers of volcanic rock, the Magic Valley’s crystal clear water flows into Riverence’s® farms at a consistent 58°F—the perfect temperature for raising healthy trout. Within this water, their fish are nurtured and given proper nourishment from well-balanced feed, so you can be assured that the ruby red trout in our fresh seafood case flourished.
But Riverence’s® respect for nature isn’t limited to fish. They care about the earth around them and have spent years perfecting their land-based farming techniques, working to lower their carbon footprint and set the standard for seafood sustainability. It’s all part of their goal: to leave things better than they found them. Because when you’re good to something, it’s good to you in return.
That includes taking good care of their fish after they’re harvested, ensuring their commitment to quality reaches everyday seafood lovers like you. Riverence’s® trout is processed within hours of harvest and delivered to our stores fast and consistently fresh.
By harvesting at trout sizes, they achieve the “whole fillet” nutritional value. But beyond nutrients, their beautiful fillets are as easy on the eyes as they are on the palate. Every bite contains five star texture and taste. In fact, their reputation for quality has earned praise from celebrity chefs including Andrew Zimmern.
Since their story first began in 2014, Riverence® has made every effort to raise incredible fish in a way that’s just good—for people and the planet. To further this mission, in early 2020, they acquired Clear Springs Foods—a rainbow trout producer with a 54-year legacy of fish farming, making them the largest land-based producer of trout in the Americas.
As if their resume was not already impressive, Riverence® is also proud to be recognized as “Best Choice” by Monterey Bay Seafood Watch, a title that honors their continuous commitment to the responsible farming of best-in-class seafood.
Interested in trying Riverence’s® incredible and sustainable ruby red trout for yourself? We recommend their flavorful Firecracker Trout recipe (featured below) or Grilled Ruby Trout Carbonara.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 (6-8 ounce) Riverence® trout fillets
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce (regular or low sodium)
- 4 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. green onions, chopped
- 3 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Gently rinse the trout fillets, and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Place the trout fillets in a dish for marinating.
- Combine all other ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the trout and marinate in the fridge for 4-6 hours.
- Place a cast iron pan in the oven and preheat to 425°F.
- Place the fillets skin-side-down in the pan, and allow to cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the desired internal temperature is reached (recommended internal temperature of 140° F).
- While it’s cooking, periodically use a spoon to drizzle the firecracker marinade from the pan back over the surface of the trout.
- When finished cooking, the trout should be slightly firm to the touch.
Note: If less spice is desired, decrease the quantity of crushed red pepper flakes.