The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
It’s pumpkin season, and while this fall squash is often featured in baked goods and coffee beverages, this Sausage Manicotti with Pumpkin Sauce proves that it’s just as delicious paired with savory flavors!
Filled with pork sausage, spinach, cheese and pumpkin and topped with a creamy pumpkin-infused sauce, this easy bake is perfect for a chilly evening.
Sausage Manicotti with Pumpkin Sauce
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 cups Heinen's heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ 15 oz. can Heinen's pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- ½ lb. Heinen's CARE Certified pork sausage
- 1 cup packed Heinen's baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Heinen's shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package manicotti pasta, par-boiled and chilled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Add the whipping cream, 1 can of pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, salt and pepper to a medium-size saucepot. Whisk over medium heat until combined and warm. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the sausage until browned and cooked throughout. Cool to room temperature.
- Add the cooled sausage to a large bowl and mix it thoroughly with the remaining ½ can of pumpkin puree, spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and pipe the filling evenly into each pre-cooked manicotti shell. Set aside.
- Pour half of the pumpkin cream sauce into the bottom of a 13×9 casserole dish, then add the manicotti.
- Pour the remaining pumpkin cream sauce over the top and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- Serve hot.