The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
If you’re looking to spruce up a seasonal menu or add an elegant touch to an intimate dinner, give lamb chops a try!
Quickly pan-seared and finished with a fast braise in the oven, the hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the lamb to marinate overnight, but it’s worth it – trust me!
Although these lamb chops are delicious on their own – I couldn’t just couldn’t stop there! So, in the spirit of the holidays, I incorporated one of my favorite timely flavors in the form a cranberry pomegranate sauce!
The fruity and meaty flavors are an ideal combination for this time of year!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Lamb Chops and Marinade
- 4-6 lamb chops
- Juice of a lemon
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup juice of an orange
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's honey
- 1 tsp. rosemary and thyme, freshly chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 cup pomegranate seeds
For the Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Juice of an orange and lemon
- 1/2 an orange, peeled and chopped
- 1 pomegranate, peeled, use 3/4ths of the seeds for the sauce and save the rest for the topping
- Add all of the marinade ingredients to a large Ziploc bag. Add the lamb chops, seal the bag and refrigerate for a minimum of four hours, but preferably overnight.
- Add all of the ingredients for the cranberry pomegranate sauce to a pot in the order listed above. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Use a traditional blender or immersion blender to blend the sauce to a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Use a braiser, Dutch oven or a cast iron skillet to sear the lamb chops over medium-high heat. Sear the lamb chops for 4-5 minutes on each side to develop a brown crust.
- Place that braiser, Dutch oven or skillet in the preheated oven, uncovered. Cook the lamb chops for 8 minutes on each side, or until your desired doneness is achieved.
- Serve immediately with the cranberry pomegranate sauce and garnish with extra pomegranate seeds.