The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
In my opinion, the most incredible soups are always homemade. If you’re under the impression that making a great tasting soup requires hours of time and effort, I’m here to tell you that it’s easier and more delicious than you think!
With so many fresh, seasonal veggies available in Heinen’s Produce Department, I felt inspired to whip up a roasted pepper soup. Shishito peppers are hot on people’s grocery shopping list nowadays, but as far as taste is concerned, these bite-size peppers are mostly sweet with little heat.
It’s very easy to roast shishito peppers at home, and I have two super simple methods to share with you! The first is more traditional. Simply tuck the peppers in a foil packet and roast in the oven. Take a couple sheets of tin foil and roll the sides to form a little pocket for the peppers. Place the peppers in the foil pocket and pour about a cup of olive oil over top. I love using Filippo Berio olive oil for its rich taste. Close up the sides of the foil pocket, sealing the peppers inside, and place in a 400˚F oven for 35-40 minutes until they start to char and blister.
The second method is less traditional, but still super simple. Set an air fryer to “roast” and preheat it at 400˚F for 2-3. Place the peppers in the roasting basket and pour about a cup of Filippo Berio olive oil over top. Roast in the air fryer for 8 minutes, flipping the peppers halfway through. This is the quicker method if you need this meal in a pinch.
I used the oven roasting method for this soup recipe because I had time to spare. While roasting the peppers, I also roasted a few other veggies for this soup in a cast-iron skillet that went into the oven, too! The nice thing about this method is that all of the veggies cook at the same pace!
When the peppers and veggies are done roasting, remove the stems from the peppers, slice all of the other veggies and add everything, along with the olive oil from the skillet and foil packets, to a blender or food processor. You’ll want to add some of the vegetable broth to the blender to help create a smooth texture.
Once blended into a smooth paste, add the spices and blend for another minute or two. Then, all that’s left to do is add the mixture to a soup pot, pour in the rest of the vegetable broth and two vegetable bouillon cubes and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
Add the heated soup to a bowl, top with diced avocado, jalapenos and a drizzle of Greek yogurt cream and serve with a Heinen’s parmesan crisp. Enjoy!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Soup
- 8 oz. of shishito peppers
- 2 ancient sweet red peppers
- 1 medium Spanish onion
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 2 1/2 cups Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 4 cups Heinen’s organic vegetable broth
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. seasoning salt
- 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
For the Greek Yogurt Cream
- ½ cup 0% Greek yogurt
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- Diced jalapenos
- Diced avocado
- Greek yogurt cream (see above)
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Wrap two pieces of tin foil around the shishito peppers, creating an open packet. Add 1 cup of olive oil over the peppers. Wrap the sides of the tin foil to seal the peppers and place the packet in the oven on the bottom rack.
- Cut off the top of the head of garlic to expose the garlic cloves. Repeat step 2 with the whole head of garlic. Place this foil packet in the oven on the bottom rack along with the peppers.
- Roast the peppers and the garlic for 35-40 minutes.
- Add the remaining olive oil to a cast-iron skillet. Place it on the stove top and heat the olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Peel the Spanish onion and slice it in half. Place the onion, cut-side-down, in the skillet.
- Add the ancient sweet red peppers to the skillet (whole). Sear them for about 10 minutes per side. Place the skillet in the oven with the peppers and garlic and roast for the remaining 20 minutes.
- When the veggies and peppers are done roasting, remove the stems from the peppers, slice the onion and the ancient sweet peppers, squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves and add everything, along with the olive oil from the skillet and foil packets, to a blender or food processor. Add some of the vegetable broth to the blender to help create a smooth texture.
- Once blended into a smooth paste, add the spices and blend for another minute or two.
- Pour the blended mixture into a soup pot, add the rest of the vegetable broth and vegetable bouillon cubes and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, whisk the Greek yogurt and heavy whipping cream together to make the Greek yogurt cream.
- Add the warmed soup to a bowl, top with diced avocado, jalapenos and a drizzle of Greek yogurt cream. Serve with a Heinen’s parmesan crisp and enjoy!