For the Shrimp Tacos
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 to 8 corn or flour tortillas
- Garnishes: avocados, cilantro, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), lime wedges
For the Slaw & Shrimp Taco Sauce
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 small jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Zest and juice of 1 large or 2 small limes, about 2 teaspoons zest and 3 tablespoons juice
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or slaw mix
- Rinse and pat the shrimp dry, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with the chili powder, chipotle chili, cumin, and salt. Toss to coat evenly. Let rest while you prepare the shrimp taco sauce and slaw.
- Prepare the sauce and slaw: In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process the Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, salt, lime zest, and lime juice. Or chop by hand and mix together. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Place the cabbage in a mixing bowl and toss with about 1/2 cup of the sauce. Add more sauce if you desire a creamier slaw, then reserve the rest of the sauce for serving.
- Cook the shrimp: In a large nonstick skillet over medium high, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the shrimp and sauté just until the shrimp is cooked through and no longer translucent in the center, about 4 minutes. Do not overcook! Transfer the shrimp immediately to a plate.
- Warm the tortillas on a hot grill pan or heavy frying pan. To serve, fill the tortillas with your desired number of shrimp, then top generously with the slaw, extra sauce, a squeeze of lime juice, and any other desired toppings.
- Enjoy immediately.