The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Slow Cooker Apple Butternut Squash Chicken is the perfect cool weather meal. This dish screams fall with sweet apples and savory butternut squash cooked low and slow with Gerber CARE Certified chicken breasts and a sweet maple syrup sauce. Spices like ginger and thyme take this dish to the next level and really add a lot of beautiful flavor.
Serve the chicken over the cooked butternut squash and apples and spoon the sauce over the finished dish for even more flavor. I like to add fresh herbs, like thyme and sage to the finished dish.
This would be a wonderful meal for a cold winter night, or a great dish to serve over the holidays to guests. The best part is you can dump, set it and forget it until dinner time!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Gerber's CARE Certified chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 2 honeycrisp apples, sliced
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2 cup apricots, halved (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's butter
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tsp. Heinen's pure organic maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's ginger
- 1 tsp. Heinen's paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's dried thyme
- Fresh thyme and sage, for garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and brown the chicken on both sides.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker, along with the butternut squash, apples and apricots.
- Add the butter to the slow cooker.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, add the apple cider, maple syrup, brown sugar, ginger, paprika and dried thyme. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and squash.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve warm with fresh thyme and sage.