The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
The days are getting longer, the sun is shining brighter and I’m starting to crave all the fresh flavors of spring!
Big, colorful salads are everything I want to eat when the seasons change, and beautiful spring produce is on display at Heinen’s.
With peppery arugula, crisp-tender asparagus, sweet green peas, creamy soft-boiled eggs, rich smoked salmon and herby lemon dressing, this smoked salmon salad is chock-full of fresh flavors, satisfying textures, and essential nutrients.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- 4 large Heinen’s cage free eggs
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 6 oz. container Heinen’s baby arugula
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5-6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 package Verlasso smoked salmon, torn into bite-size pieces
- Fresh dill
For the Lemon Dill Dressing
- 3-4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- ½ cup Heinen’s avocado oil
- To make the soft-boiled eggs, bring a small pot or saucepan of water to a gentle boil (more than a simmer, but less than a rolling boil).
- Using a ladle or large spoon, gently lower the eggs into the water one at a time. Gently boil for 7 minutes (6-6 ½ minutes if you like extra runny yolks). While the eggs are boiling, fill a bowl with ice water.
- After 7 minutes, transfer the eggs to the ice water to stop the cooking. Allow them to cool for a few minutes, then gently crack the eggs on the bottom and peel.
- Place the asparagus in a microwave-safe container and add ¼-inch of water. Cover and cook for 2-4 minutes, or until bright green and crisp-tender. Drain and chop into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, asparagus, carrots, radishes, green onions and peas.
- To prepare the dressing, combine 3 Tbsp. of lemon juice, mayonnaise, dill, mustard and salt in a glass jar. Whisk well to combine. Stream in the oil while whisking. Add additional lemon juice if you prefer a tangier dressing and more salt, to taste.
- Divide the salad among bowls and top with the halved soft-boiled eggs and torn smoked salmon.
- Dress to taste and garnish with extra dill.