The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
Chicken thighs seem to always take a back seat to chicken breasts, wings and legs. This has always baffled me because chicken thighs are loaded with tender, juicy dark meat, which makes them the perfect protein to feature in this classic French dish alongside fresh seasonal veggies.
Chicken Fricassee is a traditional French comfort food consisting of chicken breasts or thighs in a thick and creamy mushroom sauce. It’s simply delicious, so this version calls for very little changes other than the addition of fresh spring veggies for extra flavor and color. With the incredible variety of fresh seasonal produce at Heinen’s, it would be a shame not use it.
Speaking of fresh produce, Heinen’s fresh asparagus is grown and harvested in Michigan. A majority comes from Oceana County, which is actually the Asparagus Capitol of the World! Who would have thought!?
To really make the flavors in this dish sing, it’s finished with a sprinkle of fresh chives from Great Lakes Growers! You have to check out their line of fresh herbs; they’ve got every variety you’ll need from rosemary to mint! I always have a few different fresh herbs on-hand, and it’s all thanks to Heinen’s vast and fresh selection.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Gerber's CARE Certified chicken thighs
- 1/2 Tbsp. back pepper, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt, divided
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 leek, thickly sliced and washed
- 2 large carrots, cut in 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup Heinen’s chicken stock
- 1/3 cup Heinen’s heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp. chives, minced
- Egg Noodles or biscuits, for serving
- Season the chicken thighs with half of the salt and half of the pepper.
- Toss the chicken in the flour and coat evenly. Shake off excess flour and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Add the chicken thighs, skin-side-down for about 5 minutes, or until they develop a deep brown color on the skin. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and add the mushrooms and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the leeks. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, then add 1 Tbsp. of flour and mix well. Add the wine and scrape up any bits on the bottom on the pan. Add the chicken stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, whisk in the cream and additional salt and pepper. Add the chicken thighs back to the skillet, skin-side-up. Cook for 10 minutes, covered, then add the asparagus. Cover again for 5 minutes.
- Top with fresh chives and serve over egg noodles or biscuits. Enjoy!