The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
The next time you’re craving a burger, why not swap the beef for salmon?
Heinen’s fresh Seafood Department carries a wide assortment of ready-to-grill wild salmon burgers in a variety of flavors. They’re super convenient, delicious and an easy way to add more nutritious fatty fish to your diet. I’m using Heinen’s wild salmon veggie burger variety and glazing them with sweet chili sauce for an extra layer of flavor.
These burgers are wrapped in a butter lettuce leaf “bun” for refreshing crunch and color, but you can certainly use regular buns (I’d suggest lightly toasting them).
They are fantastic topped with red onion, avocado and Heinen’s fresh pineapple mango salsa!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- Cooking spray or oil
- 4 Heinen’s wild salmon veggie burgers
- 2 Tbsp. Two Brother’s sweet chili sauce, plus more for serving
- 4-8 large butter or green leaf lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Sliced avocado
- Heinen’s fresh pineapple mango salsa
- Set a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat.* Spray the pan liberally with nonstick cooking spray or oil.
- Grill the salmon burgers on one side for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Try not to move the burgers. Allow them to get a good sear, which will keep them from sticking to the pan.
- Flip the burgers and brush the tops with chili sauce, about ½ Tbsp. each. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes more, or until the salmon burgers are cooked through and reach an internal cooking temperature of 145°F.
- To assemble, place a burger on one side of a large lettuce leaf. The lettuce leaf should be large enough to fold over the burger. If the leaves are on the small side, use one leaf on the bottom and another to top.
- Top the burger with an extra drizzle of sweet chili sauce, if desired, followed by thinly sliced red onion, sliced avocado and a large spoonful of pineapple mango salsa. Fold the lettuce over the burger and tuck the sides underneath. Enjoy immediately.
*To use an outdoor grill, heat the grill to about 400°F. Just before grilling the burgers, liberally oil the grates. Follow cooking instructions as outlined above.