The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Kayla Breeden of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
If you’re looking for a way to make tofu tasty for anyone at the table, this sweet chili stir fry is the dish you’ve been searching for.
Commonly recognized as a substitute for traditional animal meat, tofu is not just for vegetarians. In fact, it’s a great source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids that our body needs to function, making it a great supplement for diets that include meat, too!
Featuring a fresh crunch from sautéed veggies and flavored with Two Brothers sweet chili sauce, give this a try for dinner sometime and transform everyone’s views on tofu!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups Heinen’s vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 14 oz. pack tofu
- 2-3 cups veggies of choice such as snap peas, broccoli and carrots
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup Two Brothers sweet chili sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cilantro, optional
- Sesame seeds, optional
- Layer paper towels on a paper plate and place the tofu on top. Cover the tofu with additional paper towels and place a heavy object, like a cast-iron skillet, on top to press the excess moisture out of the tofu. Let sit for 30 minutes or so.
- Prepare the rice according to the package instructions using either vegetable broth or water.
- Dice the shallot and mince the garlic, then add both to a skillet over medium heat with avocado oil or olive oil. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Cut the dried tofu into cubes, then add them to the skillet, browning on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- While keeping an eye on the tofu, chop the veggies. Once chopped to your desired shape and size, add the veggies to the skillet.
- Sauté, mixing gently, for 5-10 minutes. Once the veggies are slightly soft, add the Two Brothers sweet chili sauce.
- Allow the sauce to simmer, then add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Serve the veggie and tofu mixture over the rice and top with fresh cilantro and sesame seeds.