The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
The countdown to Thanksgiving has begun. As you are scrolling away on the internet in search of the perfect dishes to serve alongside your turkey, look no further than this Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel.
Whipped to perfection and piled high with a sweet pecan topping that caramelizes while baking, this is the number one requested holiday dish in my family and I am sure it will become the same for your family, too!
For the Sweet Potato Casserole
- 6 large sweet potatoes (or a dozen medium/small sweet potatoes)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
For the Pecan Streusel
- 5 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 heaping cup pecans, chopped
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and carefully poke a few holes into the skin with a fork.
- Bake at 375˚F for 90 minutes to 2 hours until a knife until the potatoes are completely tender.
Allow potatoes to cool before handling.
- Slice open the sweet potatoes and scoop the insides into a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, melted butter, half & half, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- With a handheld mixer, whip everything together until the sweet potatoes are light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
- Pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Toss all of the streusel ingredients together until the a sticky crumble forms.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ˚F.
- Sprinkle the pecan streusel on top of the sweet potatoes mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake at 400 ˚F for 30-40 minutes uncovered, until the streusel is golden and the sweet potatoes are bubbly hot.
Note: If making this dish in advance, follow all of the above steps. Let the dish cool completely before covering with foil and place in the fridge. When ready to serve, remove from the fridge one hour prior to cooking. Warm through at 300˚F for 45-60 minutes, covered.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.