The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Sweet Potato Tahini Bowls are the perfect vegetarian meal for the fall season! They have all the nutrition of a salad, but will certainly leave you feeling fuller longer.
A rainbow of vegetables and sweet potatoes are roasted in the oven with Heinen’s olive oil and spices to create tender, sweet plant-based bites that pair great with grains. These bowls are finished with a drizzle of Heinen’s creamy natural almond butter and tahini.
Grain bowls are a great way to incorporate healthy ingredients into your weekly meals. The nice thing is that they can be customized based on your family’s taste preferences. I like to meal-prep the ingredients on a Sunday so we can quickly assemble these bowls for a lunch or dinner throughout the week.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Bowls
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, stemmed and chopped into small florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower, stemmed and chopped into small florets
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 3 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 1 tsp. Heinen's paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Heinen's oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 15 oz. can Heinen’s garbanzo beans
- 1 7.4 oz. container Heinen’s cooked rice
- 1 cup microgreens or greens of your choice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 green onions, white and green parts chopped
For the Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup Heinen's tahini
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's creamy natural almond butter
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Prepare the Roasted Vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (you may need two trays).
- Add the sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, red onion and red pepper to a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread the vegetables and squash evenly on the prepared baking sheet(s). Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside in a bowl to cool.
To Prepare the Dressing
- In a Mason jar, combine the tahini, water, almond butter, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Mix well. If the dressing is too thick ,add additional water and mix again.
To Prepare the Grain Bowls
- Divide the cooked rice, chickpeas, greens and fresh herbs evenly among 4 bowls.
- Once the roasted vegetables are cooled, divide them into the bowls.
- Drizzle the tahini almond butter dressing over each bowl and serve.
Note: Other ingredients you could add to this grain bowl include feta cheese, seeds and nuts like sliced almonds, pine nuts or walnuts, olives, roasted red peppers and artichokes.