This is my go to easy recipe for breakfast or dinner. When I was in Spain just about every bar I was in offered frittata as a small plate with beer. It’s delicious and completely adaptable with ingredient options. It’s even good wrapped up in the kids’ lunch boxes.
- 9 eggs
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¼ pound Two Brothers Baby Swiss cheese sliced into ¼ inch strips
- ¼ pound Two Brothers Baked Ham
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- Dash of Cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh or dried herbs (I used parsley and dill that I dried myself from left over fresh)
- olive oil or butter to coat pan
- endless options…add caramelized onion, red or green peppers, cooked potatoes. mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Beat together the eggs and cream with the salt, pepper and cayenne (do not over-beat; just mix until the eggs mostly come together.)
- In a large, oven-proof, non-stick skillet melt butter or oil over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, Add optional items* at this point if you choose, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir to cook. Add the spinach and stir to cook about 1 minute.
- Make sure all the ingredients are evenly distributed across the bottom of the skillet, then pour in the egg mixture so that it evenly coats everything. Add the cut strips of cheese evenly throughout pan. Stir in a bit.
- Let it sit on the burner for 30-45 seconds to set the edges, then put the skillet in the oven.
- Watch the frittata as it cooks. Let it cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the eggs are set but remove it before the eggs brown very much on top.
- Slide the frittata out of the skillet and onto a cutting board. With a long serrated knife, slice it into wedges and serve warm with fresh fruit. It’s also delicious cold.
*NOTE: Add any ingredients you want! Mushrooms, leeks, different cheeses, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, bell peppers. Have fun!