The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of Heinen’s Club Fx Recipe Developer and Food Photographer, Allianna Moximchalk from Allianna’s Kitchen.
Fall squash is a staple in my kitchen during the cool autumn months. They’re extremely versatile, loaded with nutrients and easily prepared in a variety of ways, but nothing beats a savory stuffed acorn squash.
While you can fill an acorn squash with just about any kind of ground meat, veggie or grain, this recipe features ground turkey and nutritious kale. It’s an easy meal that everyone will love!
Can This Recipe Be Made Meatless?
Absolutely! This recipe would taste amazing with chickpeas in place of the turkey.
How Can I Reheat?
I love using this recipe for weekly meal prep. It can be reheated in the oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes or in the air fryer at 350°F for 5 minutes.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash, halved longways and seeded
- Heinen's avocado oil spray
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
For the Filling
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's avocado oil
- 1 cup kale, chopped (sub with spinach)|
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. dried cranberries
- 6 oz. Plainville organic ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's pure organic maple syrup (for extra sweetness)
- ½ large apple, chopped (for extra flavor)
- ½ tsp. Heinen's cinnamon (to enhance the fall flavors)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash the squash and cut it in half longways. Remove all of the seeds.
- Spray the squash with avocado oil and sprinkle it with sea salt.
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the squash is fork-tender. The squash can also be cooked in the air fryer at the same temperature for half of the time.
- Add the avocado oil to a pan over medium heat.
- Add the kale, salt and cranberries. Sautee for 2 minutes. If using apples and cinnamon, add those at this time as well.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan and break it up with a spatula. Drizzle in the optional maple syrup, if desired. Cook until the ground turkey is browned and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Once the squash is cooked and the filling is done, scoop the filling in the squash.
- If serving immediately, place the filled squash back in the oven for 10 minutes. If you are meal prepping and need to reheat, put the squash back in the oven at 350°F for 10 minutes, or in the air fryer at 350°F for 5 minutes.
- This dish is best served warm.