The following is a featured recipe in Heinen’s What’s For Dinner program, your solution to easy, delicious and convenient weeknight dinners.
Portobello mushrooms are the perfect ingredient to elevate a simple sandwich!
Quickly sauteed with onions and layered between toasted slices of rye bread with Swiss cheese and mustard, grab a pack of earthy, pre-sliced portobello mushrooms and make this meatless spin on a traditional patty melt when you’re in the mood for a meal that’s quick and comforting.
What’s for Dinner is our way of taking the stress out of cooking and making mealtime fun! Each week at the front of your local Heinen’s, you’ll find all the ingredients needed to create one of our simple and delicious chef-inspired meals. Just follow the easy step-by-step recipe card provided to have dinner ready in a matter of minutes.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- Phillips Sliced Portobello Caps
- Heinen's Diced Onions
- Pepperidge Farm Jewish Rye Bread
- Maille Rich Country Dijon Mustard
- Heinen's Swiss Cheese
- Sauté the mushrooms and onions in a hot pan with a little oil or butter until browned. Set aside.
- Butter the outside of two pieces of bread and smear a little mustard on the inside.
- Place one piece of bread, butter-side-down, in a pan over medium heat. Top with the cheese, sauteed mushrooms and onions and the other piece of bread.
- Cook the sandwich on both sides like a grilled cheese.
- Serve with chips and your favorite dill pickle.