When people ask me how to simplify dinner, I have a handful of go-to suggestions, one of which is to follow this formula: complex carb + vegetable(s) + protein + optional flavor booster (sauce, dip or dressing). Dinner doesn’t need to be complicated, require an abundance of ingredients or take a lot of time to be delicious and nutritious. In fact, I often find the simplest meals to be the most delicious. And sticking with this formula means you’ll end up with a satisfying dinner that provides a variety of essential nutrients.
This recipe for Thai Peanut Chicken Salad is the perfect example of that formula in action. We start with a complex carbohydrate (whole wheat spaghetti), toss in a vegetable (shredded cabbage and carrots) and a protein (pulled chicken), then dress it in a flavorful sauce (Heinen’s amazing Two Brother’s Thai Peanut Sauce). We’re taking it a step further by adding a bit more freshness with cilantro and a crunch from peanuts.
This recipe is ready in about 20 minutes and requires very little prep. And like all of Heinen’s What’s for Dinner features, this one went over so well in my house and I know you’ll love it, too.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 8 oz. Heinen’s Whole Wheat Spaghetti (half of the 16 oz. box; save the rest for another time)
- 1 package Fresh Express 3-Color Deli Coleslaw
- 1 ½ cups matchstick or shredded carrots
- Heinen’s Pulled Chicken
- Two Brothers Thai Peanut Sauce
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup Heinen’s Extra Large Virginia Peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to boil; salt to taste. Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain again and transfer to a very large bowl.
- To the pasta add the coleslaw, carrots and chicken. Using tongs, toss everything until well-mixed. Add enough peanut sauce to coat/taste and mix in cilantro. Serve topped with chopped peanuts.
What’s for Dinner is our way of taking the stress out of cooking and making mealtime fun! Each week at the front of your local Heinen’s, you’ll find all the ingredients needed to create one of our simple and delicious chef-inspired meals. Just follow the easy step-by-step recipe card provided to have dinner ready in a matter of minutes.