When the cooler weather rolls in, we can’t help but indulge in a belly-warming meal. Chef Billy Parisi has us covered with this easy, at-home Wine-Braised Beef Brisket.
5-pound untrimmed flat brisket
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 peeled large diced yellow onions
6-7 stalks of large diced celery
2 bay leaves
2 cups full-bodied red wine
4 cups beef stock
1 small bunch of parsley
6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 bunch peeled baby carrots, cut in half
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Season the brisket well on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Add the olive oil to an extra-large pot over medium-high heat.
4. Place the brisket fat side down into the pan and brown for 7-8 minutes per side until golden brown.
5. Remove the brisket from the pan and add in the onions, celery and bay leaves and cook for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
6. Deglaze with the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan using a spoon.
7. Pour in the beef stock and add in the parsley, thyme and season with salt and pepper.
8. Add the brisket back into the pan, place on a lid and cook for 3 hours at 350°.
9. After 3 hours, remove the pan from the oven and mix in the carrots and squash, place the lid back on and cook for another 35-40 minutes or until the squash is tender.
10. Slice and serve!