The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
If you’re in need of a festive side for your holiday table, look no further than this Winter Berry Slaw. Full of color and sweet fruit, it’s a beautiful center piece or side for any seasonal menu.
When I think of coleslaw, nothing pretty comes to mind. I know that I don’t want any soggy green mush at my table or on my pallet. So, I strived to create something as tasty on the eyes as it is on the taste buds.
This Winter Berry Slaw has both red and green cabbage, carrots, radishes, cilantro, dill, pomegranates, blueberries, sunflower seeds and walnuts all tossed together with Garlic Expressions dressing and mixed with the remaining pomegranate juice. The saltiness of the nuts and the sweetness of the berries are perfectly balanced by the crunch of the cabbage and radish.
Using green and red cabbage gives the slaw natural color and Heinen’s makes it easy with their pre-shredded cabbages. It saves so much time this way! I also picked up one large container of POMS pomegranate arils to avoid the mess of shelling a whole fruit. It’s these small skips in the process that make this recipe so simple, but you can very well shred and slice the cabbage yourself if you wish.
The bright pops of cilantro and dill and the nuttiness of the walnuts and sunflower seeds add a depth of flavor. This recipe will surely make your holidays bright and bursting with flavor!
For the Slaw
- 2 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cups carrots, shredded
- 1/3 cups dill, chopped
- 1/3 cups cilantro, chopped
- 2/3 cups pomegranate seeds
- 3 Tbsp. walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds, toasted
- 2 Tbsp. almonds, sliced
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- ¾ cup radish slivers
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
For the Dressing
- 1 cup Garlic Expressions Dressing
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- Toss shredded cabbage, carrot, cilantro, dill, pomegranate seeds, radishes, walnuts, almonds and sunflower seeds in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and drizzle over slaw.
- Top with the pomegranates and blueberries.
- Serve right away.