The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Alissa DiSanto of Sauced By Sunday.
Short on time? Don’t sacrifice your dinner! This quick zoodle recipe comes together in five minutes or less with the help of Heinen’s Frozen Department!
Heinen’s frozen zoodles taste amazing with any sauce, but with spring on the horizon, pesto seems like the perfect pair!
For this recipe, spinach and basil are combined with walnuts, nutritional yeast, lime juice and olive oil to create a simple and nutrient-dense homemade pesto! The vibrant color and flavor are the ideal enhancement to zoodles, especially with a garnish of creamy crumbled feta.
Although this recipe is extremely low prep, if you’re really up against the clock, grab a jar of Heinen’s premade pesto! The flavor is just as refreshing, and it will save you a few extra minutes in the kitchen.
Talk about plant-based pasta perfection!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 12 oz. packages Heinen’s frozen zucchini spirals, thawed on the counter two hours prior to serving
- 2 cups Heinen’s spinach
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Juice of 3 limes
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. water, if needed to thin out the pesto
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Transfer the thawed spiralized zucchini into a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the spinach, basil, walnuts, yeast, lime juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in a food processor with a steel blade. Process until smooth. You may have to scrape down the sides periodically and add water if the pesto is too thick. If adding water, always start with just 1 Tbsp. and increase as needed. Taste for flavor and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon the pesto onto the noodles and toss to combine.
- Garnish with extra nuts for crunch and freshly crumbled feta cheese. Serve immediately at room temperature.
- Heinen’s also offers fresh spiralized zucchini in the Produce Department that can be used in place of the frozen variety.
- This is a great side dish to pair with your favorite grilled protein.
- This dish is served at room temperature. If you prefer it hot, quickly sauté the zucchini for 2 minutes over medium heat. Once warmed, add the pesto to the pan and toss to coat.