The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
I can’t express how much I love this recipe! I mean, who wouldn’t love warm, buttery scones with a perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors!
Packed with Heinen’s specialty chili cheese spread and tons of freshly grated zucchini, these seasonal treats are a delicious way to sneak in those veggies! These scones freeze really well too, so you can make a big batch and enjoy them all fall!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 1/2 cups + 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. white sugar
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup zucchini, grated
- ¾ cup Heinen’s hot chili cheese spread
- 1/4 cup Widmer’s jalapeno pepper cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp. roasted garlic paste
- 5 small jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 5 slices Heinen’s thick cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups of flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
- Cut the butter into small cubes. Quickly work it into the flour mixture with your knuckles.
- Fold in Heinen’s hot chili cheese spread until it resembles coarse, slightly wet corn meal.
- In a separate small bowl, beat together the egg, garlic paste and Greek yogurt. Add this wet mixture to the flour mixture.
- Using a cheese grater or food processor, grate the zucchini. Place the zucchini in paper towels and squeeze the moisture out.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the remaining Tbsp. of flour, grated zucchini and diced jalapenos. Mix until they are coated with flour, then add to the scone mixture. Gently fold them into dough until well combined. The dough should be slightly wet and sticky.
- Pour the dough onto the baking sheet and form into a circle.
- Sprinkle the top of each scone with grated Widmer’s cheddar cheese and a few extra jalapeno slices.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes or until the dough is cooked through and the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cut into 8-inch wedges. Place back in the oven for an additional 8 minutes.
- Serve warm or freeze and enjoy later (see below for freezing instructions.
To Freeze: Wrap each scone loosely in plastic wrap and store in airtight container in the freezer for up to a week. To reheat, cover the scones with a damp paper towel and place them in the microwave for a couple of minutes on high. If using the oven, place the scones in the oven when it is off and set the temperature to 350˚F. By the time the oven is warmed up, the scones will be too.