The following guide was written by Heinen’s partner Alex Miles.
The month of March always brings a variety of fun celebrations – Pi Day, St. Patrick’s Day, the first day of Spring, March Madness and, of course, National Frozen Food Month!
The frozen foods at Heinen’s provide convenient, delicious and, many times, nutritious options for our plates. From ingredients for meals to frosty treats, there’s nothing frozen foods can’t do.
Reasons to Love Frozen Food
Frozen foods aren’t always the first stop at the grocery store, but there are so many reasons to slow down and shop the freezer section. Here are a few more reasons why we love frozen foods.
- Snag Seasonal Produce. Unlike fresh produce, frozen veggies and fruits are picked at the height of their ripeness and flash frozen to help maintain nutrition and flavor. You can enjoy high quality berries, melon, broccoli, green beans, peas and more all year long.
- Extended Shelf Life. Frozen foods last much longer than fresh items. You can use precisely what you need for your meal and put the rest back into the freezer for another time, helping you cut down on food waste and support the environment.
- Cost Effective. Frozen foods typically cost less than fresh items and are consistently priced all year long, so you know what to expect at checkout.
- Mess-Free Prep and Cooking. Frozen foods usually come ready to use; all you have to do is put them in the oven, toaster, microwave, etc. and voila! Your food is ready to enjoy sans the mess or fuss.
Mornings Made Easy with Frozen Breakfast Brands
While frozen foods go well with any meal, they can make breakfast, also known as the most important meal of the day, significantly easier for everyone in the family.
With that said, not all frozen breakfast foods are created equal. Some brands give you extra bites of nutrition and delicious flavor, making mornings the best part of the day.
Here are four of our favorite frozen breakfast foods, now available in our Frozen Department!
Known as the bagel capital of America, New York City has the best tasting bagels because of the way they’re cooked (hint: they’re submerged in boiling water before they’re baked). But who has time to travel to the Big Apple every week/weekend just for some delicious bagels?
Luckily, Bagelista has taken the hard work off your plate while giving you the complete New York bagel experience – minus the travel, of course.
Bagelista bagels are handmade, kettle boiled in New York water and baked part-way. The only thing to do when you bring them home is pop the frozen bagel into your oven, air fryer or toaster and wait for the buzzer. Within a couple minutes, it’s time to bite into that fresh NYC bagel goodness from the comfort of home.
Best of all, Bagelista bagels can stay frozen for up to one year – but it’s highly likely that you’ll enjoy the whole bag right away!
Available in Plain and Everything.
2. Good Food Made Simple Unsweetened Steel Cut Oatmeal
Rich in healthy grains and fiber, oatmeal always comes highly recommended by health experts. But it’s not always easy – or quick – to cook on busy mornings, and not all oatmeal brands are free of added sugar or preservatives.
Good thing for us all, Good Food Made Simple® (GFMS) was up for the challenge.
GFMS created wholesome steel cut oatmeal that can be ready in three minutes or less. Made with 100% organic oats and flash frozen to preserve whole grain nutrients, a bowl of this steel cut oatmeal in the morning promises to fuel you until its time for lunch!
3. Good Food Made Simple Breakfast Flatbread Sandwiches
Is there anything this awesome food brand can’t do? GFMS also offers healthy and flavorful flatbread breakfast sandwiches.
Designed for eating-on-the-go, these frozen sandwiches are made with farm fresh ingredients. We’re talking cage-free egg whites, hearty potatoes and natural cheddar cheese. They’re full of flavor and healthy protein (about 14 grams to be exact), making breakfast time better than ever!
Available in Three Cheese and Uncured Canadian Bacon.
4. Evergreen Waffles
Fluffy, filling and nutritious, Evergreen mini waffles are perfect for busy mornings or relaxing weekends at home. Created by a “busy mom” who desired convenience but wasn’t crazy about the sugar and preservatives found in other brands, she made a healthier version. Packed with whole grains and flavored with real fruits, veggies, nuts, etc., kids will love to scarf these down every day.
We suggest buying a couple of extra packs because adults love them, too!
Available in Mixed Berry & Almond and Peanut Butter & Banana.