The following article was written by Heinen’s Chief Dietitian, Melanie Jatsek RD, LD.
School may be out for summer, but you can still earn high marks on your next barbecue by swapping out traditional ingredients for more healthful ones. What’s more, you won’t have to sacrifice taste because these upgraded Fx-friendly ingredients are made from real food, so they are even more flavorful than your old favorites!
- No Bull burgers are 100% plant-based and made with whole foods like lentils, brown rice, carrots, onions and spinach. (Frozen Department)
- Heinen’s homemade bean-based veggie burgers are filled with fiber and taste amazing on top of a leafy green salad. (Meat Department)
- Applegate well carved organic 100% grass-fed beef & vegetable burgers contain 1/3 cup of vegetables per burger! (Frozen Department)
- Pre beef is a 100% grass-fed and grass-finished ground beef and contains healthy omega-3 fats not found in grain-fed beef. (Meat Department)
- Food for Life sprouted English muffins boost your burger’s nutrition because your body can absorb the vitamins and minerals in sprouted bread more easily than non-sprouted. The crunch of a toasted English muffin will take your burger to another level of deliciousness. (Frozen Department)
- Veggie buns, like grilled portabella mushroom caps, bell pepper halves and eggplant slices are clever stand-ins for bread and a great way to pack more veggies into your picnic.
- Wrap your burger in Romaine lettuce or cut two thick chunks from a head of iceberg lettuce and sandwich your burger in between. Don’t forget to pile on extra toppings, like tomato, onion and broccoli sprouts!
- True Made Foods veggie ketchup is made from vegetables with no added sugar.
- Stubb’s original barbecue sauce has only 4 grams of added sugar and no high fructose corn syrup.
- Primal Kitchen buffalo sauce is a creamy, spicy and healthy way to dress up your grilled veggies or burgers.
- Primal Kitchen marinades are avocado oil-based and super convenient.
- Chosen Foods avocado oil mayo is full of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Use in place of traditional mayo when making potato or macaroni salad.
- Kerrygold grass-fed butter pairs perfectly with sweet corn on the cob and it gives you the benefits of omega-3 fats!
Here are some of my favorite Fx-approved picnic side dishes that I know you’ll enjoy too!
- The dressing in this Grilled Vegetables with Tahini Dressing recipe is a gamechanger. You’ll wonder how you lived without it all these years!
- This Mayo-Free Coleslaw is a refreshing alternative to heavy, mayonnaise-laden coleslaw.
- Nothing says summer like stone fruit. This Stone Fruit Grain Salad is a tasty side, but also makes a well-balanced main dish. Stone fruit is great on the grill too!
The Fx “food as medicine” mantra can be applied to all types of meals, including summer barbecues. Think about exchanging at least two of the above ingredients at your next picnic or try a lighter side dish to keep things nutritionally balanced. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!