The following post, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
I am always blown away by the assortment of fruits and vegetables at Heinen’s. From freshness to variety, every aspect of their Produce Department deserves the highest marks.
Speaking of variety, you may have come across some unique items when perusing Heinen’s produce selection and wondered, “what is that” and “how on earth would I use it.” Heinen’s calls these items Fresh Discoveries, and they always have new finds rolling in.
If you ever find yourself pondering over these items, Heinen’s Produce Associates are a great resource! They can tell you every little detail about an item from where it was sourced, to how to it tastes, to how to use it in your everyday meals and snacks. They can even let you taste one in the store!
In the spirit of adventure, let’s refresh our fruit and veggie routines by exploring two of my favorite seasonal discoveries: Champagne Mangoes and Watermelon Radishes.
- Also known as the honey mango, this fresh fruit is characterized as the “champagne of all mangoes.”
- Small and delicately shaped with skin that ripens to a golden yellow.
- Velvety smooth flesh with almost no fibrous texture and a wafer-thin pit.
- Contains enzymes useful for tenderizing meats and also act as a digestive aid.
- When fresh, they are firm, unblemished and fresh scented.
- To ripen, leave them at room temperature for several days until they yield to gentle pressure.
- Once ripe, store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Best served in salsas, smoothies, desserts and salads.
- Slightly sweeter than an ordinary radish with a mild, sub-acidic taste.
- Feature a vibrant magenta flesh surrounded by a green exterior, just like a watermelon.
- Choose radishes that are full of color with firm, well-formed roots and green tops.
- Cover with ice water before serving to ensure extra crispness.
- Best used as a garnish or as a featured ingredient in salads, bowls, cheese plates and roast beef and cheddar sandwiches.
Which Fresh Discovery are you adding to your grocery list?