This post and photography are courtesy of Nic Abraham. For more wellness tips, visit her website.
Pumpkin spice and everything nice. There are so many things to love about Fall like hayrides, corn mazes, pumpkin lattes, apple spice muffins and more. Fall is also the perfect time to incorporate in-season fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices into your beauty and body care routine. These harvest-inspired products will affirm your love for the crisp, cool season.
Oranges and Ginger
Oranges: We know that oranges are a great source of vitamin C, but this citrus fruit also helps restore collagen and prevent early aging of the skin. The best part is orange season starts in November!
Ginger: This pungent perennial herb is great in dishes, but even better for your skin. Similar to oranges, ginger also protects against aging. Additionally, it soothes burns, is great for hyperpigmentation and tones skin.
- Product Recommendation: Dr. Bonner’s Orange Ginger Organic Lip Balm
- This lip balm provides extra moisture and a protective barrier from the elements with no synthetic ingredients. It’s certified organic, too!
This antioxidant-rich fruit is great for the skin. Pomegranate is anti-inflammatory, tightens pores and reduces excessive sweating, as well as odor.
- Product Recommendation: Weleda Pomegranate 24 Hour Roll-On Deodorant
- A fresh and fruity daily essential that gently combats odor. This deodorant contains no aluminum salts or synthetic preservatives, fragrances and colorants.
Pumpkin is great for oily or dry skin. It’s rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant and beta-carotene, which improves skin texture (as well as elasticity and skin tone) and helps reverse UV damage. It’s also great for fading dark spots. What’s more is Pumpkin, combined with other fall favorites such as cinnamon and nutmeg, make a great body scrub.
Here’s a harvest-inspired Pumpkin Body Scrub that will exfoliate, nourish and condition your skin.
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 to 5 – 4 oz. airtight jars
- In a bowl, combine coconut oil, brown sugar, canned pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Scoop the scrub into your jars.
*Body Scrub will last for about 2-3 months in an airtight container.
Pumpkin, Pears and Figs
Pumpkin: As great as pumpkin is for skin, it’s also great for hair and is a good source of potassium and zinc. This squash plant helps hair regrow and improves blood circulation.
Pears: If you want to control dryness, try incorporating pears (which are full of vitamin C) into your conditioning regimen.
Figs: Full of magnesium, vitamin C, E, and more, figs increase blood circulation and hair growth. They are also great for detangling and treating grey hair.
- Product Recommendation: ACURE Mega Moisture – Argan Oil & Pumpkin Shampoo
- An intense hydration formula for dry, damaged or curly hair in need of some love, this shampoo is 100% vegan, as well as paraben, sulfate, mineral oil, petrolatum, formaldehyde and cruelty-free.
- Product Recommendation: ACURE Body Beautiful – Pear & Fig Conditioner
- This conditioner revives hair giving it a silky shine. Like the ACURE Shampoo, it’s also 100% vegan, as well as paraben, sulfate, mineral oil, petrolatum, formaldehyde and cruelty-free.