The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
As we approach fall, this Apple Quinoa Salad is the perfect way to celebrate the cooler weather!
Healthy greens like kale and spinach are mixed with sweet apples, crunchy almonds, red onion and quinoa. The dressing is a maple Dijon that adds a sweet subtle flavor to the salad. This salad is an easy one to make and comes together in under 15 minutes.
I like to serve this salad alongside our weeknight meals, but it also works nicely for larger events, like Thanksgiving or Christmas. I will also meal-prep this salad sometimes and use it throughout the week for lunches.
Pre-cooked quinoa is the star shortcut ingredient of this recipe. Quinoa is a great option for meals as it is nutritionally dense, extremely easy to prepare and very versatile. This salad also calls for Heinen’s fresh spinach, sweet apples and Heinen’s pure organic maple syrup. You can use any variety of apple you like, or you could try swapping the apples for butternut squash. From time to time I will also add cheese, like goat cheese or feta cheese.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- 1 4.2 oz. package Heinen’s pre-cooked quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup kale, chopped and massaged with olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Heinen’s spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups diced apples
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
For The Dressing
- 3 Tbsp. Heinen's extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp. Heinen's pure organic maple syrup
- 2 tsp. Heinen's Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Heinen's oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to the package and let cool.
- Add the kale and 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to a medium-size mixing bowl. Use your hands to massage the kale until it becomes soft, about 2 minutes.
- Put the kale into a large salad bowl and add the spinach, almonds, apples and red onion. Gently toss.
- Add the quinoa and toss to combine.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing on top of the salad and stir gently to combine. Serve immediately