What could be better than black beans and butternut squash in a colorful and creamy stew? From a wellness perspective, you’ll be hard pressed to find something with more color, flavor and nutritional value!
Featuring a broth of coconut milk and culinary stock surrounded by hearty bites of convenient frozen butternut squash, bell peppers, black beans, onions and leafy greens, this simple stew is a delicious way to enjoy almost all of your necessary food groups!
Black Bean Butternut Squash Stew
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's organic coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups Heinen's frozen butternut squash
- 1 15 oz. can Heinen's black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 8 oz. can Heinen's organic coconut milk
- 8 oz. can Heinen's organic chicken or vegetable stock (or organic chicken bone broth)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Pinch of allspice
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup collard greens, kale or spinach, chopped
- Avocado, for serving
- Brown rice or quinoa, for serving
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and green onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the frozen butternut squash, black beans, Italian seasoning and thyme. Stir to coat.
- Stir in the coconut milk, broth, salt, allspice and cayenne pepper (optional) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the leafy greens and cook for 4 minutes.
- Serve with avocado and brown rice or quinoa.