The following recipe and photography were provided by Food Scientist Kathleen Ann of Bread Over Heels.
If you’re looking for a sweet recipe to enjoy on a chilly evening, look no further than these Brown Butter Chai Oatmeal Cookies!
These treats will fill your kitchen with the most delicious scent and delight your taste buds with the warmth of the chai spice blend and the nuttiness of brown butter.
Made exclusively with Heinen’s brand ingredients, you can taste the quality in every bite. Happy baking!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Heinen's butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup Heinen's light brown sugar
- 2 Heinen's Cage-Free eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups Heinen's old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. Heinen's organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Heinen's organic cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's organic allspice
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's organic ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. Heinen's organic cloves
- 1/8 tsp. Heinen's organic nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until the butter is brown in color and nutty in aroma. Remove from the heat and reserve ¾ cup. Package any remaining brown butter for another use.
- Chill the reserved ¾ cup of brown butter in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or until no longer warm to the touch.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the chilled brown butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture to the large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Roll the dough into 2 tablespoon-size balls. Press gently to flatten.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom and edges. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.