The following recipe and photography were provided by Food Scientist Kathleen Ann of Bread Over Heels.
Healthy and festive, these Carrot Cake Chickpea Blondies combine the best of springtime carrot cake with a health-conscious ingredient list.
The base is made with a hefty amount of Nativas chickpea flour, a new ingredient I found at my local Heinen’s that contributes fiber and protein to help keep this sweet treat balanced for your blood sugar.
Freshly ground carrots, chopped pineapple and raisins add sweetness and a variety of nutrients to the mix. Topped with a coconut yogurt drizzle for frosting, they’re the perfect dessert to serve at your Easter gathering, or to enjoy as a healthy treat for yourself. Happy baking!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- ½ cup butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan
- ½ cup Heinen’s brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Navitas chickpea flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Heinen’s ginger
- A dash of salt
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flavored Greek or Icelandic yogurt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking tin with parchment paper with a slight overhang on each side. Lightly grease the parchment paper with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and brown sugar. Whisk to combine. Add the vanilla and egg. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Add the chickpea flour, almond flour, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Stir to combine. Add the carrots, pineapple and raisins. Stir until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth. Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned and set. Let cool to room temperature on cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, powdered sugar and 1 tsp. water. Drizzle over the blondies.
- Cut into rectangles and serve.