Recipe and photography provided by our friends at Stemilt. For more information on their fresh produce and recipes, visit stemilt.com.
Cherry turnovers are the perfect dessert or summer brunch recipe. Use Stemilt’s fresh, Sweet-Dark Cherries in the summer to make this recipe even more delicious!
Cherry Turnovers with Puff Pastry
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups of Stemilt’s dark-sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 lb. store-bought puff pastry dough, thawed
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with ½ tsp. water
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cherries, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and cornstarch to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue to boil for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate to cool completely.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 15-inch square. Using a pastry wheel, pizza cutter or very sharp knife, cut the square into 9 five-inch squares.
- Place about 2 Tbsp. of the cooled filling just off center of each square. Fold the squares over, corner-to-corner, to form a triangle. Seal the edges by pressing around the turnover with a fork. Carefully place each turnover on to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375˚F.
- Brush the tops of each turnover with the egg wash and sprinkle with a bit of turbinado sugar. Bake the turnovers for 20 to 25 minutes or until they are puffed and golden.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm.