The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Megan Weimer of Dollop of Dough.
What’s Valentine’s Day without chocolate covered strawberries?
Whether they’re gifted from someone special or made by you for you to enjoy while binging your favorite romantic comedy, nothing beats this crisp-on-the-outside, juicy-on-the-inside sweet treat!
That is until you taste these Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies featuring the newest fruity find in Heinen’s Produce Department: Nature Fresh Farms greenhouse-grown organic strawberries!
Grown sustainably in Delta, Ohio in Nature Fresh Farms’ state-of-the art greenhouse, their quintessential Valentine’s Day red color and refreshing flavor and aroma aren’t the only things that make these strawberries special. What truly sets these strawberries apart from the crop is that they’re the first-ever greenhouse-grown organic strawberry on the market! So, they’re good for you, good for the environment and available year-round.
Layered on top of fudgy chocolatey brownie and coated in a decadent ganache, there’s no better way to spread the love this Valentine’s Day than with a batch of these brownies.
And don’t forget, these strawberries are available fresh year-round, so if you’re craving them after Valentine’s Day, make them again!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Strawberries Don’t Have to Be in Season. Thanks to Nature Fresh Farms’ sustainable greenhouses, you can enjoy fresh, organic, locally grown strawberries any time of the year.
- They’re Refreshing and Fudgy. Some brownies can be cakey, but these brownies have an ooey-gooey and chewy chocolate interior that is perfectly complemented by the sweet juiciness of the strawberries.
- They’re Easier to Make than Chocolate Covered Strawberries. Unlike traditional chocolate covered strawberries which require the tedious task of hand-dipping, this recipe requires 10 minutes of prep and 30 minutes to bake.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 16 Brownies
For the Brownies
- 6.5 oz Two Brothers 72% cacao dark chocolate
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Heinen’s granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Heinen’s brown sugar (light or dark)
- 3 large Heinen’s cage free eggs, room temperature
- 1 Heinen’s cage free egg white, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened or Dutch-process)
- ½ tsp. salt
For the Ganache
- 2 cups Heinen’s semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Heinen’s heavy cream
- ¾ cup Nature Fresh Farms greenhouse-grown organic strawberries
For the Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line a square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl in the microwave, mixing every 15 seconds until completely melted and smooth. Whisk in the vegetable oil and let cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, egg white and vanilla extract on medium-high speed for 2-4 minutes, or until the color is pale.
- While beating, stream the chocolate and oil into the egg mixture. Continue mixing until well combined.
- Gently fold the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder and salt into the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula. Fold until the dry streaks of flour just disappear.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth out the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs but no wet batter.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool completely in the pan before adding the ganache.
For the Ganache
- Chop the strawberries and set them aside.
- Place the chocolate chips in a large bowl. Microwave the heavy cream in a microwave-safe container for about 1 minute and pour over the chocolate. Let the mixture sit for 1 minute.
- Stir the chocolate and cream together until smooth.
- Place a piece of cling wrap over the surface of the ganache. It will thicken as it cools.
- Once the brownies are room temperature, place the chopped strawberries on top in an even layer, then pour the ganache over the strawberries and spread all over.
- Chill the brownies in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or until the ganache stiffens slightly. Slice and enjoy!