The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Perfect for gifting or pairing with hot coffee on cold winter’s day, this Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti was made for the holidays!
Since this is the season of indulgence, I made this biscotti extra sweet by dunking the chocolate base into white and dark chocolate.
Garnished with crushed peppermint candies, this baked treat is a worthy addition to your holiday baking traditions!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 12 Biscotti
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. Heinen’s unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup Heinen’s semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup Heinen’s dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until combined. Add the almond extract and combine.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture to form a stiff dough. Mix in chocolate chunks until combined.
- Flour your hands and the form the dough into flattened logs on the prepared baking sheet, about 12 inches long and 8 inches wide, or as long as you desire. The dough should be about an inch thick.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the baked logs to a cutting board and slice them into ¾-inch slices from the left to right side.
- Arrange the biscotti, cut-side-down, on the baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
- While the biscotti cools, melt the dark and white chocolate chips in separate microwave-safe bowls, or over two double boilers. Add a tsp. or so of milk to each bowl to help the chocolate melt.
- Dip half of the biscotti in the dark chocolate, about 3-4 inches deep. Place the biscotti back on the cooling rack and immediately sprinkle the crushed peppermint candies on the melted chocolate.
- Dip the other half of the biscotti into the white chocolate, place them back on the cooling rack and sprinkle with the remaining crushed peppermint candies.