The holidays are about family gatherings, celebrations and making memories but let’s be honest, it all depends on the food. On just about every special holiday you will find my crab cakes on the menu. This year, I’ve stepped up my game and added crab-stuffed and baked lobster tails to the mix.
This dish is so special and delicious, yet super easy to put together. Simply cut the top of the lobster tails from the body to the tail with scissors or a butcher knife. Be careful to cut only the shell, not split the tail in half. It’s easier than it seems but, simply spread the shell a bit and carefully loosen the meat from the sides, then pull the meat up out of the shell while leaving it attached at the tail. Lay the lobster tail on top of the shell. You don’t have to do it this way, but it makes a nice presentation. Scroll down to see how I have four tails split and three with the meat removed to give you a better idea of what to do. You can do this!
Once the meat is exposed, you will brush it with lemon butter and bake it for a few minutes, then add the crab mixture on top. This will go back into the over for about 12 more minutes. When it comes out, add more hot lemon butter and enjoy!
This recipe could only be better if you added a tender filet mignon to make it a true surf & turf.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4-6 lobster tails, 4 oz. each
- 4 Tbsp. lemon butter, melted (combine 4 Tbsp. melted butter with ½ tsp. lemon zest)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen's butter, salted
- 5 Tbsp. onion, minced
- ½ tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 cup butter crackers, crushed
- 1 ½ cups Boss Claw lump crab meat
- ¼ tsp. salt and ground pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 5Tbsp. dry sherry
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cut the lobster tails. Start at the top of the shell and cut down to the edge of the fin.
- Remove the tail meat, then place it on top of the shells.
- Place the lobster on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, then brush with the melted lemon butter.
- Bake for approximately 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Gently fold in the crushed crackers, salt, pepper, lemon zest, sherry, olive oil and crab meat.
- After 5 minutes, remove lobster tails from the oven. Brush again with melted lemon butter and pack the pre-cooked crab stuffing tightly on top.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until the lobster meat reaches an internal temperature of 145ºF.
- Brush again with melted lemon butter, then serve immediately.