The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
With a solid few weeks of warmer weather under our belts, I’ve been craving all the green things. Whether that’s a big green salad or an extra handful of spinach in my smoothie, I’m officially back in the mood for fresh and light fare. These Green Goddess Stuffed Pitas fit that bill perfectly, with the added bonus that they don’t require any cooking!
I love the combination of tender baby spinach and microgreens with the super crisp baby iceberg in these pitas, but any combination of lettuces works here. Check out the many varieties of fresh greens from Great Lakes Growers and Vigeo Gardens in Heinen’s Produce Department and mix-and-match to your taste.
These are also perfect for easy lunches and meal prep. Prepare the chickpea salad up to 4 days in advance and assemble the pitas just before serving. Serve with a simple side of fresh berries or melon.
Green Goddess Stuffed Pitas
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Assembly Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
For the Chickpea Salad
- 2 cans Heinen’s Organic Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, minced
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
For the Pitas
- 4 6-inch whole wheat pitas, halved
- ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Great Lakes Growers Icicle Baby Iceberg Lettuce
- 2 cups Heinen’s Organic Baby Spinach
- Vigeo Gardens Microgreens Micro Blend
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas 10-20 times or until finely chopped, but not pureed (you want texture). Transfer chickpeas to a medium bowl and fold in remaining ingredients. Check taste for seasoning and add additional lemon juice, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the chickpea salad into each pita half, spreading with the back of a spoon in an even layer. Top with sliced cucumbers, avocado, Icicle lettuce, baby spinach and microgreens.