The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
I’ve been craving all the green things recently. Whether that’s a big green salad or an extra handful of spinach in my smoothie, I’m officially back in the mood for fresh and light fare. These Green Goddess Stuffed Pitas fit that bill perfectly, with the added bonus that they don’t require any cooking!
I love the combination of tender baby spinach and microgreens with the super crisp baby iceberg in these pitas, but any combination of lettuces works here. Check out the many varieties of fresh, greenhouse grown greens from Great Lakes Growers and Vigeo Gardens in Heinen’s Produce Department and mix-and-match to your taste.
These are also perfect for easy lunches and meal prep. Prepare the chickpea salad up to 4 days in advance and assemble the pitas just before serving. Serve with a simple side of fresh berries or melon.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Chickpea Salad
- 2 cans Heinen’s organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 organic celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, minced
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
For the Pitas
- 4 6-inch whole wheat pitas, halved
- ½ organic English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Great Lakes Growers Icicle baby iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups Heinen’s organic baby spinach
- Vigeo Gardens microgreens blend
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas 10-20 times or until finely chopped, but not pureed (you want texture).
- Transfer chickpeas to a medium-size bowl and fold in remaining chickpea salad ingredients. Check taste for seasoning and add additional lemon juice, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the chickpea salad into each pita half, spreading with the back of a spoon in an even layer. Top with sliced cucumbers, avocado, Icicle lettuce, baby spinach and microgreens.