The recipes and photography for this post were provided by local blogger, Sally Roeckell of 365 Barrington.
There’s nothing quite as dense, rich and sweet as a perfect pound cake. There’s also nothing quite as fitting for a post-sunshine treat in this gorgeous summer weather, especially when paired with a delicious Cedar Plank Salmon. As an added bonus, there are strawberries on top of the cake, making it the perfect “healthy treat” that you can brag about to your friends.
- 1 pint of fresh Strawberries cleaned and cut.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs Grand Marnier
- 2 Tbs butter softened
- 1 pound cake
- Fresh whipped cream (or vanilla ice cream)
- Into a buttered cast iron pan add strawberries, water, sugar, and grand marnier.
- Place the pan on hot grill and allow the liquids to blend and the berries to roast. When the sugar has dissolved and the liquids have slightly reduced (about 3-5 minutes), remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, slice the pound cake in 3/4 inch slices. Use the softened butter to brush the grill grates. Place the pound cake slices on the grill until it has golden brown grill marks. 30-90 seconds. Turn carefully and do the same on the other side.
- Plate by layering pound cake strawberries and whipped cream.