Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Made with three different kinds of cheese and finished with a crusty panko topping, my oven-baked Homemade Macaroni and Cheese will quickly become a casserole season staple!
- 3 Tbsp. of unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and small diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar + ½ cup
- 1 ½ cups shredded white cheddar
- ¾ cup shredded smoked Gouda (optional)
- 1 lb. macaroni or another pasta, cooked and cooled
- 3 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and allow to cool.
- Add the butter to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the flour until it is completely combined then pour in the milk and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Cook the milk for 4-6 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Stir in the 1 ½ cups of sharp and white cheddar and optional Gouda cheese until smooth and full incorporated.
- Add the cooked and cooled noodles and toss until coated.
- Transfer to a 13×9 casserole dish. Evenly sprinkle on the remaining ½ cup of cheddar.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter and breadcrumbs until combined and evenly sprinkle it over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are browned.