The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
It’s the time of year when life dumps lemons into our laps! Skip the lemonade and get ready to feast on a real citrus treat.
Most viral cooking trends are just for views and don’t bring much value to real life, but this viral recipe is a time-saving trend that actually works. Dump cakes made their debut on the internet a few months back and there is a reason they became so popular. They are incredibly delicious and require zero effort.
Dump cake is exactly what it sounds like, just dump the ingredients in a pan and bake. Five simple ingredients is all it takes. No mixing, no stirring, no nothing! Just bake it and you’re an hour away from a delicious, gooey cake.
Most of dump cake recipes I’ve stumbled upon use cherry pie filling and a can of crushed pineapple. That sounds delicious, but blueberry pie has my heart. Feel free to give this recipe a try with your favorite type of pie filling or fresh fruit. With seasonal citrus ripe and ready to enjoy, now’s the time to treat yourself!
Let’s have our cake and eat it too!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Dump Cake
- 2 21 oz. cans blueberry pie filling
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 box yellow or white cake mix
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
For the Lemon Drizzle
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish and add the pie filling.
- Cover the pie filling with the lemon zest and juice.
- Add the cake mix and spread it evenly over the top of the pie filling and lemon. Cut the butter into cubes and place it on top of the cake mix. Top with fresh blueberries.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the entire cake is golden brown. Allow to cool for five minutes before serving.
- While the cake is cooling, whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl. This icing is very tart, but it works perfectly with the sweet blueberry filling.
- To serve, scoop a few heaping spoonfuls of the cake onto a plate. Top with the lemon drizzle and Heinen’s French vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!