Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Perfect over any noodle, this Lentil Bolognese is a delicious vegan-friendly spin on classic Bolognese that will satisfy everyone at the table… even meat lovers.
Made in just a few simple steps with only a handful of ingredients, it’s the ideal healthy weeknight meal!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely minced
- 3 celery stalks, finely minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ cups lentils
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the olive oil to a medium-size saucepot over low to medium heat. Cook the onions, celery, carrots and garlic for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and water and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add the lentils, turn the heat down to medium and cook until the lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Finish by stirring in basil, salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste, if needed.