The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Served on top of an ice cream sundae or enjoyed as a simple healthy snack, fresh, in-season cherries are extremely versatile! If you’re looking for a new way to eat cherries this summer, consider turning them into a sauce for seafood.
Pitted, simmered and spooned over fresh salmon fillets from Heinen’s Seafood Department, this dish is tart, refreshing and best paired with an easy side, like Heinen’s pre-cooked rice and or fresh stir-fried vegetables from the Prepared Foods Department.
This complete dish is the icing on top of a perfect summer day.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup Heinen's honey
- 1 tsp. Heinen's onion granules
- 1 tsp. Heinen's garlic granules
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and quartered
- 4 8-oz. fresh salmon fillets
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- ½ red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 green zucchini, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chiffonade
- Heinen’s pre-cooked rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to broil high.
- Add the water, sugar, honey, onion granules, garlic granules, adobo sauce and cherries to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, or until it forms a syrup. Set aside.
- Place the salmon into a large frying pan and drizzle 2 Tbsp. of olive oil over top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Broil on high for 5 minutes, then drizzle on some of the cherry sauce and broil on high for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to a large frying pan over high heat and cook the onions for 3-4 minutes while stirring.
- Add the squash and zucchini and cook for 2 minutes before adding and stirring the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and finish with basil.
- Heat the rice according to the package instructions.
- Serve the salmon with additional cherry sauce alongside the vegetables and rice.