The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
It’s a new day and I have a new chicken recipe for you! Today we are throwing together a quick chicken salad that is full of fresh strawberries, making it perfect for the upcoming spring weather… well hopefully!
If you’ve made any of my recipes then you know how much I enjoy Heinen’s Meat and Produce Departments. I’m always gushing over their next level selections and service. Their bakery is no different! The selection of fresh-baked breads, cakes and cookies rivals any bakery. One baked good that is always on my list is a box of fresh croissants. They are light, buttery and stacked with flakey layers that were basically made for this spring chicken salad to rest upon! Be sure to grab a box after you pick up some strawberries.
This recipe is the perfect for experimenting! If I’m feeling a bit nutty, I’ll throw in toasted pecans, or substitute the mayo for light Greek yogurt and add granola for an extra crunch. Its cliché, but the possibilities are truly endless with this recipe. The only thing I ask you don’t change is the strawberries. Now, go crazy!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 6 Sandwiches
- 1.5 lbs. Gerber’s chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup strawberries, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Lettuce and croissants, for serving
- Remove the chicken from the packaging and discard of any extra fat. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powders. Cover the chicken in the seasoning. You can use any seasoning you like for this recipe, I sometimes add red chili flakes for an extra kick.
- Prepare the chicken any way you like. Make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F and chills in the refrigerator before slicing for the salad. If you’re in a time crunch, Heinen’s rotisserie chicken is a delicious option.
- When the chicken is chilled, remove it from the refrigerator and cut it into cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion, celery and chicken.
- In a separate bowl, add mayonnaise, mustard, honey, lemon juice, vinegar and a few cracks of black pepper. Whisk.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture and mix to combine.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Serve on warm croissants with a piece of lettuce.
Looking forward to trying this dish!
We’d love to hear what you think when you try it, Joe!