What does comfort food mean to you? For many, it means simple ingredients and simple preparation that allows for a little indulgence and a sense of true nostalgia. We think you’ll agree that this recipe is no exception. Gather friends and family for Sunday Supper and use any leftovers to make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.
- Cottage Ham, 1.5-2 lbs.
- 8 -10 Redskin Potatoes, Halved
- Large Cabbage, Quartered
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 8-10 Peppercorns
- 1.5 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Place cottage ham in a large stock pot and cover with water 2-3 inches above the ham (enough water to cook the vegetables)
- Add peppercorns, brown sugar, and bay leaf to water
- Bring to a boil the reduce to a simmer for 1 hour 15 min
- Add potatoes and carrots into pot with cottage ham simmer for about 15 minutes or until tender
- Add the cabbage cabbage and cook until all vegetables are fork tender, about 10-15 minutes
- Strain all the ingredients and allow the ham to rest for 5 minutes
- Before serving the ham, place vegetables in the bottom of a bowl or plate and single ham slices over the top of the veggies
- Serve with horseradish or stone ground mustard