The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
These homemade hand pies are so easy to make, even the kids can do them (with supervision, of course). All you need is a pack of store bought puff pastry, blackberries, brie, honey and mustard. Oh, and one more thing – an egg to create that golden color that everyone loves so much.
Since the pastry is already made, you will also need about a glass that is 5” in diameter, or thin bowl, to make the perfect circle for each hand pie base.
- 1 pack puff pastry, thawed and rolled 1/4” thick
- 1 egg yolk, beaten, for baking
- 1 small pack of blackberries
- 1 small package of brie cheese
- 3 Tbsp. of stone ground mustard
- 2 Tbsp. of honey
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out defrosted pastry dough to 1/4” thickness.
- Use a 5” glass bowl or cup to cut out perfect circles, usually makes about 5-6 per sheet.
- Begin filling the center of each by dough circle with 1-2 chopped blackberries and a few pinches of brie.
- Brush egg wash along one side of each circle and then close the circle so it is shaped like a moon. Press down with a fork to seal the edges.
- Cut two tiny slits at the top so the steam can release while baking.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- While the hand pies are baking, stir together stone ground mustard and honey for a delicious dipping sauce.