The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
This one is for the hardcore tailgaters, for those who show up early and make a day of it, those who “Wake up Feeling Dangerous”. Combine the Cinnamon Game Day Fatty with your hungry stomach and you’ll be fueled for the day events! This is the perfect breakfast to prep in advance. Set up your tailgating area, fire up the grill, and you’ll be celebrating your first touchdown in no time.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 5 to 6
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1 box Krusteaz Cinnamon Crumb Cake (will only use ¼ of the finished cake)
- 1 tablespoon Bone Suckin’ Sauce Seasoning & Rub
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup + more for serving
- Preheat oven or grill to 300°F.
- Bake the crumb cake according to box instructions. Once cooled, crumble ¼ of the finished cake into little bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Lay your sausage on plastic wrap. Smash & spread the sausage until it forms a large, thin, semi-rectangular shape. It is best to work with the sausage when it is very cold.
- Next, add your crumbled crumb cake to the center of the sausage sheet, almost like you’re filling a burrito. Pour the maple syrup over the crumbled cake.
- Carefully roll the sausage around the crumb cake, using the plastic wrap as help. Pinch the sausage closed. Next, sprinkle all sides with the Bone Suckin’ Sauce Seasoning & Rub. Wrap tight in plastic wrap and foil. Keep in the refrigerator overnight or place it in the freezer for 10-20 minutes before cooking. This will help this deliciously edible football keep its shape!
Note: If using a grill or smoker make note that this will be cooked over indirect heat. Cook for 1 hour or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Let rest for 5- 10 minutes. Slice and serve with extra maple syrup.