The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Fresh fruits and veggies combine to create the most magnificent margarita!
When the weather gets warm, Heinen’s Produce Department starts to fill up with fresh produce grown on farms right here in the Midwest. In fact, by the peak of summer, more than 70% of their Produce Department is stocked with locally grown fruits and veggies! I love using these fresh picks for salads and snacking, but they’re also ripe for sipping!
Served frozen or on-the-rocks, this vibrant margarita features cucumbers, watermelon and cilantro! It may sound like an odd combination, but once blended with fresh lime juice and agave for sweetness, the resulting flavor is unbelievably refreshing!
This cocktail is beautiful on its own, but for added visual appeal, feel free to rim the glass with lime juice and salt!
Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or outdoor weekend get-togethers, this recipe is a great way to hone your mixology skills.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 mini cucumbers, chopped
- 3/4 cup watermelon, chopped (no rind or seeds)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup ice cubes
- 2 1/2 oz. silver tequila
- Juice of one lime, plus more for the optional rim
- 1 Tbsp. agave
- Kosher salt, for optional rim
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the cucumber, watermelon and cilantro.
- Strain with a sifter to separate the pulp from the juice. Discard the pulp.
- Clean the food processor or blender and add the juice to a cocktail shaker with the ice, tequila, lime and agave. Shake vigorously.
- If rimming the glass, run a piece of lime around the rim. Add a little salt to a plate and run the wet rim through the salt.
- If serving on the rocks, pour the mixture into the rimed glass over ice.
- If serving frozen, transfer the mixture from the cocktail shaker into the food processor or blender. Blend to desired your desired consistency, transfer to a rimmed glass and enjoy!