The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
The campfire called and it’s jealous that it got the boot for this summer recipe. Ditch the wooden sticks for pretzel sticks to create this sweet and salty twist on the classic S’more!
My desire to give a classic summertime treat a unique spin is exactly how this fun and funky s’mores bar was born. A s’more is not complete without the marshmallow and chocolate, so don’t worry, this recipe is full of both. I started getting creative when I swapped bland graham crackers for salty pretzels and added dark chocolate covered with flaky sea salt. These new additions take the traditional s’mores flavor over the edge!
A fantastic dessert for summer entertaining, you can make these ahead of time and cut them into bite-size squares right before guests arrive. No campfire needed!
Dark Chocolate Pretzel S’mores Bars
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 16 oz. bags marshmallows
- 2 1 lb. bags pretzel sticks, crushed slightly in a Ziploc bag
- 1 20 oz. bag of dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp. flaky sea salt
- Non-stick spray, for setting the bars
- Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pour pretzels into a Ziploc bag and use your hands to lightly crush the pretzels until they are slightly broken.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the entire stick of butter. Pour in all of the marshmallows and turn the heat down to low, stirring until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Turn off the heat and add the crushed pretzels. Stir vigorously until the pretzels are completely coated with the melted marshmallow.
- Pour marshmallow and pretzel mixture into the prepared baking pan. Spritz your hands with non-stick spray and press the pretzels into the pan.
- After a few minutes, once bars start to set, spray the bottom of a glass with nonstick spray and push every inch of the pretzel mixture harder into the pan, creating one flat layer. This will help create dense bars.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, at 45-second intervals, melt the dark chocolate chips. This should take no more than 2 rounds of the 45 seconds. Once 70% of the chips are melted, remove the bowl from the microwave and continue to stir until the rest of the chips have melted.
- Pour the melted dark chocolate over the bars and spread it into one layer.
- Place any shape of pretzel you’d like on top for decoration, and finish with a pinch of flaky sea salt over top.
- Let sit for the chocolate to harden. For a rapid set, place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once set, lift parchment paper corners, for easy removal and cut into your desired size and shape. Enjoy!
Click Here to Print the Recipe for Dark Chocolate Pretzel S’mores Bars.