The following recipe is courtesy of Bread Over Heels, a food scientist and blogger. For more of her recipes and baking tips, visit her website or her Instagram @breadoverheels.
If you simply can’t get your fill of pizza during the main course, then add it to the dessert menu, too! This Autumnal pie is inspired by the classic fall taffy apple with chopped apples, salted caramel, and peanuts on pizza dough. For the full flavor experience, I recommend serving it warm with vanilla ice cream.
- 5-6 medium McIntosh or Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup, plus 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 7 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ tsp. flaky sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1-16 oz. bag refrigerated pizza dough, or 16 oz. homemade pizza dough
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- All purpose flour, for dusting
- Ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425 °F. Remove pizza dough from refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine apples and 3 Tbsp. sugar. Melt 3 Tbsp. of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add apples and cook for 5-6 minutes or until liquid has absorbed and apples are slightly softened. Transfer apples to a rimmed baking pan and let cool to room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Prepare caramel sauce. Melt remaining ½ cup sugar in a small pot over medium heat until just liquefied. Remove from heat and stir in 4 tablespoons butter and sea salt. Add heavy cream and stir to combine. The mixture should be thickened and caramel-colored. Reserve until ready to use.
- Prepare pizza dough. Flour a working surface and roll pizza dough to 16-inch circle. Carefully transfer to a 14-inch pizza pan. Press dough into edges and trim off any extra dough if needed. Transfer cooked apples to pizza dough and evenly distribute across the surface area.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and delicately drizzle and spread caramel sauce over apples. Return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle ¼ cup chopped peanuts on top of apples. Return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until crust is lightly golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream.