The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
A little tart, a little sweet and a little savory, these chicken melts are the best of all worlds! Toasted multigrain bread is topped with sweet honey mustard, chicken breast and sharp white cheddar, then broiled and topped with a tangy Rave apple slaw to create the ultimate toasted cheese sandwich. They’re balanced, hearty and perfect for lunch or dinner.
Stonewall Kitchen’s sweet honey mustard is truly delicious and takes these sandwiches to the next level. Look for it near the other condiments at Heinen’s. We always have some stocked in the fridge and also enjoy it on ham or turkey sandwiches, or as a dip for pretzels and chicken tenders!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 tsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 large Rave apple, cut into thin matchsticks
- 8 slices Heinen’s 8 grain bread, from the center of the loaf
- Olive oil
- Stonewall Kitchen sweet honey mustard
- 8 oz. rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 4 oz. Heinen’s New York extra sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- Set oven rack 7 inches from the top of the oven and preheat the broiler.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Fold in the matchstick apples and toss well to coat. Set aside.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil. Line the bread slices on a sheet pan, oil-side-up. Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges (oven temperatures vary, so watch closely). Remove the pan from oven and flip the bread over.
- Top 4 of the slices with a generous shmear of honey mustard, followed by the shredded chicken (about 2 oz. per slice). Divide the shredded cheese among all bread slices. Return the pan to oven and broil for 1-2 minutes more, or until the cheese melts.
- Remove the pan from oven and divide the apple slaw between the chicken slices.
- Top with the remaining toasted cheese bread slices.
- Cut into halves and serve.
Great sandwich! My husband thought the mustard was the right amount but I could have added more (I love mustard). We both thought more cheese would be be nice. The apple slaw was TO DIE FOR!!! Paired with some watermelon for a nice dinner…will make these again!