The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Add a little sweetness and spice to your next seafood supper with this Jalapeño Honey Tilapia.
When I’m in need of an easy dish for a busy weeknight that also delivers ample nutrition, I always turn to white fish. Light, flaky and full of essential vitamins and minerals, it’s a protein that always pleases everyone at my table.
White fish, like tilapia, can be a bit bland on its own, but adding extra flavor could not be easier. With the help of spicy jalapeños, sweet honey and savory cilantro, you can quickly create five-star flavor in no time!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and small diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 ½ Tbsp. honey
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the butter to a medium-size bowl, along with the jalapeños, garlic, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper. Mash with a fork until all of the ingredients are completely combined. Set aside in the refrigerator. There will be plenty leftover, and this stores beautifully in the freezer.
- Season the tilapia on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium-high heat. As soon as it begins to lightly smoke, add the tilapia and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until well browned and cooked throughout. If your pan is on the smaller side, cook the fish in batches.
- Transfer the cooked tilapia to a serving plate and generously top with some of the jalapeño butter, spreading it all over the fish.
- If desired, add optional garnishes of chopped cilantro, sliced green onions and sliced red chilies.