The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
The new year is here and if you’re anything like my family, you’re ready for a season of new beginnings.
We admittedly drank more than usual this year, especially around the holidays, but for the new year, we wanted to try something different. Mojito different!
I’m someone who does not like a lot of chopped mint leaves floating in my cocktails, so traditional mojitos have never been attractive to me. However, I do love a chunky stalk of mint garnish that can be easily removed without compromising the pretty appearance of the drink. That’s what I chose to do in this recipe!
Kombucha is a tasty fermented beverage that can be enjoyed on it’s own, but in the spirit of new year’s resolutions, I decided to add this gut-friendly beverage to my mojitos. Finding the right kombucha is important, so I highly recommend using a newly purchased bottle, preferably one with a minty flavor, to create that traditional mojito taste. I chose a variety from Brew Dr.
One sip of this healthy(ish) cocktail and you’ll be well on your way to a beachy mental getaway.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar simple syrup
- 1/4 cup white rum
- 1/2 cup Clear Mind Brew Dr. Kombucha
- 3 mint leaves, chopped to muddle
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Mint stalk, for garnish
- For simple sugar syrup, boil 1 cup of brown sugar with 1 cup water. Store in the fridge. It’s best to make this the night before because cold syrup is better for the drink. You’ll only need 2 tablespoons of this syrup per drink, but the leftovers will be great for other drinks.
- Pour all ingredients, except for the kombucha and ice, into the shaker glass.
- Muddle the chopped mint in with the liquids to infuse minty flavor.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer into a glass with ice.
- Pour in the kombucha and stir slightly to mix.
- Garnish with mint stalk and drink immediately.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.