The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Galettes never go out of style. For the summer, most people opt for the sweet berry bakes. If you have a good sturdy pastry crust, you can get away with loading these bad boys pretty nicely.
My go-to crust is very simple and uses minimal ingredients. It’s packed with flavor and a well-rounded texture thanks to the addition of pistachios. You can certainly use regular pistachios for savory galette crusts, but since this is sweet, I opted for honey-roasted pistachios.
Just a quick toss in sugar, lemon and vanilla and those berries are ready to bake on that pistachio bed!
For the Dough
- ½ cup raw honey-roasted pistachios
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water
For the Filling
- 10 oz. strawberries, sliced
- 6 oz. blueberries
- 6 oz. blackberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 4 oz. honey pecan cream cheese, preferably whipped
- 1 egg yolk, for wash
- For the dough, set oven to 425°F. Pulse the honey-roasted pistachios in a food processor until coarsely ground. Add flour, salt and sugar and pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse just until a coarse meal forms. With the motor running, gradually stream in ½ cup of ice water and process until dough comes together. Transfer dough to a work surface. Form into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes. Once chilled, cut in half, and store remaining half for later use. If you want to bake both, double the filling ingredients.
- Roll out the dough into an 8-inch circle that is 1/4-inch thick. Spread cream cheese, leaving a 2-inch border on all edges of the circle for when you fold the dough over.
- For the filling, mix the berries with all of the filling ingredients except the egg yolk and honey pecan cream cheese. Only do this step when you are ready to pour the berries over the cream cheese and dough since the sugar will break down the berries.
- Add the berries to the center of the dough, covering to the edge of the cream cheese. If there are too many berries, don’t use them all.
- Fold one section of the dough at a time, one over the next and brush the egg wash over the dough.
- Bake in oven on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Check intermittently to make sure it’s not too brown or undercooked. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Garnish with mint, if desired.